Saturday, November 18, 2017

Unconquerable Souls

Saturday Stories
November 18, 2017


I'm forever grateful to the writers who have touched my life. There are books, such as Trevanian's Shibumi and Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull, that are now a part of me.

I find great inspiration in poetry, like in Rudyard Kipling's "If" and Max Erhmann's "Desiderata."

And then there is "Invictus" by  William Ernest Henley which is special to me on a deeply personal level.

"Invictus" is also the favorite poem of Nelson Mandela whom I admire for his moral courage.

I still remember where I was while watching the live broadcast of Mandela's death over CNN.

I also remember thinking that it was a privilege to be living in the age of great world leaders like him and Aung San Suu Kyi of Myanmar, Jose Ramos-Horta of East Timor, and our very own Cory Aquino of the Philippines – whom Mandela held in great esteem.

I have such profound respect for people like Nelson Mandela and Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino Jr. who survived years of deep solitary confinement as political prisoners, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn who survived the Gulag death camp in Siberia, Elie Wiesel and Viktor Frankl who survived the Nazi Holocaust, and the many brave men and women throughout history who survived "the bludgeonings of chance" with their principles still intact, with their heads "bloody but unbowed."

They are the masters of their fate, and they are the captains of their souls.

 Photo courtesy of WallPaperrs.com

No comments: